How to Report Hazards, Unsafe Conditions or Practices with PS Form 1767

March 20, 2024

Share this article

Union family, there is never a bad time to make sure you are working in a safe environment. Take a look around your workspaces – do you see anything unsafe? If so, find the nearest PS Form 1767, Report of Hazard, Unsafe Condition or Practice. Fill it out and give it to your supervisor. That way, management will have documentation that there is a safety issue that needs to get fixed.

This form is used to report hazards, unsafe conditions, work practices and, in the opinion of the APWU, hostile work environments. You should use this form to report anything that you think could jeopardize your health, such as dirty conditions, pests, mold, and disturbed or broken building materials (tiles, insulation, etc).

The form must be readily available and easily accessible to all workers on the workroom floor. You should not have to ask a supervisor for a form. They are not supposed to be locked up in a desk or stored where an employee cannot get them.

Section 814.1 of the Employee Labor Relations Manual (ELM) states: “Employees have the right to:

  1. Become actively involved in the Postal Service’s safety and health program and be provided a safe and healthful work environment.
  2. Report unsafe and unhealthful working conditions using PS Form 1767, Report of Hazard, Unsafe Condition, or Practice.

Although a fillable PDF form is also available on our website, we recommend that you use the four-copy NCR form provided by the Postal Service in your workplace so that you can get a copy returned to you to see what abatement actions were completed or ignored.

You can also submit the form anonymously; however, you will not receive a copy of the form that includes management’s actions to abate the problem. Having a copy helps your union representative if they need to file a grievance on a safety issue that is not being addressed.

Section 824.632 of the ELM states: “The immediate supervisor must promptly (within the tour of duty):

  1. Investigate the alleged condition.
  2. Initiate immediate corrective action or make appropriate recommendations.
  3. Record actions or recommendations on PS Form 1767.
  4. Forward the original 1767 and one copy to the next appropriate level of management (approving official).
  5. Give the employee a copy signed by the supervisor as a receipt.”

If you have questions about the form, need help completing one, or can’t find one in your office, please contact your local union representative. ■

Stay in touch with your union

Subscribe to receive important information from your union.